Monday, June 10, 2024

A Letter En Route











"A Letter En Route-- Still Taking the Long Way Home"

Went on a run this morning... a beautiful route with rivers and canals -- and I felt grateful.

Then, right toward the end, I veered to include the part of the town that is my favorite -- lined with cobblestones and dotted with dainty domiciles wearing hats of grass thatch and terracotta tile. 

Immediately I knew this was not the wise choice -- my wobbly ankles warned me away -- but I just kept going. I just needed to be surrounded by old beauty. Beauty that has withstood.

Not two seconds later, my heel hit an unruly stone -- little bastard that refused to be smoothed to match the level of those surrounding it. As I careened forward, my arms and legs splayed outward, grabbing at the air to aright myself and remain intact upon impact (I am sure it was very graceful and not at all obvious to the many -- oh so many -- bystanders), my arms -- finding no aid from the air (that empty, no-substance SOB!), reached forward and braced for impact. 

It was a hard fall -- bloodied knee and nose, twisted ankle and ripped pants. 

There were tears -- frick, it hurt! But as I limped back "home" to my little flat (just as much an eyesore and anomaly as ever), I thought of you and smiled. 

I wondered (and was a bit sad to miss out on) what just perfectly placed zinger you would have gently slapped me with at that very moment. A comment expertly delivered with such care that somehow it is able to take the situation and bring laughter through tears, like only you can. 

Anyone else would be a saltshaker sprinkling shame and further pain, piling on to an already vulnerable moment. You are that salt shaker that adds instead -- bringing out the hidden flavor of the dish -- the humor and deliciousness that can be found in even a (generous) slice of humble pie. 

So, the long story short: 

I took you on a run today. 

We sought out the old beauty because -- to our hearts -- it was a necessity.

Even though we fell on our ass, we now have one more story to tell and yet another scar to show. 

So many scars now. But oh, the stories. And the salt.

Some would say it "serves us right" -- and I agree. It always will. 

Just a reminder you are loved. You are lovely. You are worthy of such love.

And you are cherished. 

No comments: