~Cultivating Life~

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

~The Butterflies and the Bees~

-->

  When I came upon Tori Amos musing about marriage I had to take pause. I never even knew she was married. I have to admit this blew me away at first...I guess I had just always considered her name, her music, her writings, herself as being profoundly and fervently feminist (to the core). So, as I continued reading, much to my surprise (and inner joy) I found her insights on this particular union to be beautiful...REAL-ly beautiful.
~~~~~
Amos regards her marriage to her soulmate, saying "I really feel like my husband is my boyfriend. I am having an affair with my husband, and sometimes plates fly. There's no question. This is someone who is tenacious and has his own way of looking at things. I mean, he wanted to get married, but only if we lived in England. To be his wife required serious change for me. And there are serious boundaries. It is about monogamy with him. That's just it. I think marriage takes more perseverance sometimes than any other endeavor. But this suits my skirt just fine, primarily because I've always been reticent about the concept of "Happily Ever After." The garden will have weeds and pests that may damage crops; it may even have pestilence to contend with once in awhile. But with the right combination of elements, including bees and butterflies, the garden will pollinate and become a garden--not an emotional wasteland but a place of sensuality and balance. So it may need a good beekeeper; all complex gardens do."
~~~~~
*I've too long been sidetracked by the pests and the weeds....so please now....Bring on the butterflies and the bees....
And may I ever be an excellent beekeeper~

2 comments:

Daien said...

This may be one of my most favorite of your posts, and not just because it contains bees and Tori Amos. My wish ~my very deepest, most fervent wish~ is for Byron to realize what an utter treasure you truly are.

Leah Wall said...

What a great quote!! i love it. Thanks for sharing.