~Cultivating Life~

Saturday, October 27, 2012

~Piece by Piece~

-->



Lately I've been reading biographies. One that has struck a chord with me is Tori Amos's Piece by Piece. Although I definitely do not agree with all she believes necessarily, I do value the bold honesty and unabashed authenticity with which she approaches both her art and herself.
A self-professed free spirit and spitfire in her own rite, Amos's music has surrounded me, ever since the days of when I would follow my older sister Meredith around like a puppy and simply joy in soaking in every smidgeon of shared time she would deem me worthy of (which, compared to most sisters was an insanely generous amount I might add) #my-sister-is-the-bomb.
I can still remember the feeling (I still can't quite grasp the exact word for it---it eludes me like a wisp o' the wind) I got when a Tori Amos song would roll like thunder over the radio waves. The sweet syncopations of sound----those pulsating patterns, haunting intonations and wild runs mark my memories like a vivid, tangible television into my childhood. Mmmm, yes....I was raised on Tori Amos, alongside the 10,000 Maniacs, Carole King and James Taylor...and it was good~
Growing up I always admired her hutztpah and passion for her music; it remains unlike any other genre I have known. So, naturally, as I passed her biography on the shelf of my local library, it wasn't even a question---I was drawn to it like a moth to a flame....focused on finding what it is within her that ticks, and trills.
I am only halfway in, and already her ideas and opinions on religion, femininity, sexuality and so much else have been enough to keep my mind whirring (and cheeks blushing) for ages. Having similar upbringings I have found it fascinating to see her viewpoint on conservatism and "God" and all that is black and white (or in this case grey).  I disagree with much, yet honor and respect her voice and the sheer passion and stubborn will she shows in ceaselessly seeking. And aren't we all....just seeking. Truth. Goodness. Love. Beauty. Peace. Grace.
TRUTH (yes, I said that one twice).
There have been times in my reading where I have stopped to catch my breath after something I have read....Amos writes raw. It is uncomfortable. I disagree. I'm scared I concur. I wonder what if. I question. I refute. I own my truth. I see and hear her heart. I search my own.
Yet I continue reading.....because I know that the truth will always win...and I learn only by living....and dialoguing....allowing even sometimes contradictory views to act as catalysts for constant change---graduated growth. Here is where there will be a forum found, wide open and inviting me in....challenging my own thoughts and ideas...formulating them upon a foundation...building stronger...and always, all ways, ceaselessly seeking.
*I will keep you posted~

1 comment:

Daien said...

Beautiful post, my sweet. Ms. Amos is a Sister in the Tradition . . . so I understand whereof you speak. I have no doubt you were drawn to her words for the very reasons you've so beautifully described. Opening our hearts and minds is never without pain; think of what the butterfly and every other metamorphosing creature goes through on it's way to Self. So goeth we . . .