~Cultivating Life~

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Affirmations Afforded...May I Be a Good Wife~



I want to frame you
and hang you on a wall--a sense of permanence.
I'm staying in this place.
I'm unpacking my bags.
I want to adorn you
with affirmations and kisses,
with time and all my attention.
To dress you
every morning in red and purple joy,
emblems of love and badges of adoration.
To send you on your way
to work, lunch packed, with contentment and
fulfillment.
A feast of happy thoughts in the middle of your day.
I want to tuck you in
wrapped in blankets of warmth and reassurance.
Rest your head on the peace of finding what you've
always sought.
I want to fold you
like my favorite skirt, carefully, slowly, delicately,
so the wrinkles and creases of pain are all pressed out.
I want to put you on
like my makeup, wear you all day, shimmering,
shining--
bright colors that make you happy, feel beautiful, and self-confident.
Unwrap you,
like a surprise on no day in particular, out of the blue,
rip you apart to view what I'm seeing
for the first time, but always wanted.
I want to hold you,
like a kitten, rescued from the side of a busy road,
ignored when he was crying out, but held, finally, by
a host of loving arms--my soul.
I want to brew you
like my coffee, warm, strong, how I start my day
jolting my senses, waking me up,
hot in my mouth, lasting in my breath.
I wan to read you,
like a memoir, my favorite genre.
I can't put you down.
I highlight you, dog ear you, scuff-up the cover with love,
taking you everywhere I go.
I want to sing you.
My favorite song, always in my mind and on my lips
summoned up without hesitation, memorized, played
loudly and danced to often.
I want to pray you.
A petition, a promise, fervent and faithful,
whispered under my breath, but heard by the only
ears needed to be heard by.
I want to create you,
like the eighth day: "then there was you"--
out of thin air, or maybe evolved, a mystery, but
complete--and tangible.
I want you as you were.
I want you as you are.
I want you as you will be.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You will be a GREAT wife...he is one lucky guy!