~Cultivating Life~

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Scratch.


Good morning sunshine, and thus my 30th year on this earth begins…

Armed with a cup of coffee and pen poised….I remember.

I remember the return from Europe, where I came home from a fairytale…to a fairytale. The trip that taught me so very much about other cultures; different countries; myself----and the elusive concepts of “home” and “family.” The journey that opened my eyes to how very little I knew, and yet how very wise I can be, if I allow myself the space and time…and really look closely. Stop to feel that still, small voice—those inner words of (whispers) “wisdom.” Wisdom hard earned and costly…but wisdom nonetheless.

I recollect this exact same day last year vowing to myself adamantly that I indeed WOULD NOT be residing in my same humble jungle abode next year…only to waken today as I look around my same small “shanty by the sea” adamantly grateful to simply still be here, in Hawaii, safe and (most importantly!) roommate free!

I recall the people who have come and gone this year. Some steady satellites, orbiting around me always…yet never quite in my tangible physical realm…yet I feel them all the same…daily, surrounding me. Some are constant companions…the daily phone calls and the text messages just reaching out to “touch base” and let me know I am being thought of. The “community coasters”….those who I see at the grocery store, or the Farmer’s Market….we are cordial in passing; they remember my face always; I genuinely like them; they won’t recall my name tomorrow. And my person, my best friend, who is the last conversation at the end of the day…assuring me that I am not alone in this world…even when it may feel like it.

This year I have sold coffee with a smile (and some rockin’ glitter), slung hash (Lord, please never again), traveled the world like a solo gypsy rose, written copious amounts of “creative writing,” ---sold an article or two or three (sprinkled here and there,) and even landed myself a real, (albeit at times snoozefest) of a steady job…and I have reached that day (yes, today) of sitting here in my room and thinking to myself……

*Damn, it is quiet in here...

*I am sure I have some work I could be doing right now...

*My nose is running...

*My nose itches...

*My heart itches....

I will scratch…and silence this itch~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I missed your birthday this year, AB! I have missed being more connected to you. When I think of all the past year hs brought to you and that YOU have brought to the year, my heart fills with gratitude, joy, and a bit o' pride. May you always see stars ...

Love,
Dr. P

gsweeton said...

Happy belated birthday! I have missed you on FB, but I understand when people decide that it is time to "disconnect". I remembered your blog today, so have bookmarked it so I can still read your wonderful comments on life. Love you!
Ginny

leah wall said...

I've been missing you on Facebook these last few weeks - glad you're still blogging some! I am blessed by your thoughts and regular reminders to slow down, think, appreciate & breathe.
- Leah W