~Cultivating Life~

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Making Moves~


Benjamin Franklin once said:

"We learn by chess the habit of not being discouraged by present bad appearances in the state of our affairs, the habit of hoping for a favourable change, and that of persevering in search of resources."


This coming year, I believe I will see many moves, and fulfill many different roles in my own life.

Some days I will feel like nothing more than a pawn, one among several--tiny, nondescript, and lined up beside my peers with not much expected of me. Yet on these days, I will take my baby steps, slowly and intentionally make my way forward, and at the end of the road, I will have transformed and become a better, more respected, stronger and powerful being. And I will turn around and face the world better equipped to fight to win.

Maybe there will be wondrous rook moments. Seeing the world from a lofty castle view. Taking strides forward at distance and speeds I never knew possible. Feeling important, and moving from side to side and beyond in smooth, fluid flight.

When darkness comes, and hard times cast evening's menacing shadows over me. I will BE the knight. I will jump over hindrances in brave leaps and bounds, arching over all obstacles in an elegant, L-shaped pattern---indicating Life Lived~

The role of bishop will undoubtedly find me on an unlikely path, taking that road less traveled. I will wander off the beaten path, shunning the straight and arrow, in lieu of delicious, diagonal journeys. Routes with no maps, I will go far, back and forth, and make my way still--and I will pray.

I will feel most powerful when I am queen. I will change my mind often, and go where I want. I will not be bound by others' rules and restrictions. I will not allow their limitations to keep me from making my way. I will realize on these days, how valuable I really am--and just how much worth I have...and I will move about the roads of life with confidence and grace--whichever way I choose.

And everyday I will in my innermost being have the role of King. Knowing that every position that I take--every move that I make---every decision in direction---shifts the entire gameplan of my life. I must be wise, and I must be discerning, and these days my one job---is to stay alive-- and let the game go on~

3 comments:

Karen Swallow Prior said...

This is so good: well-conceived and well-written and so much truth and wisdom in it.

I would just add that I think if you let Someone else be King, all the other pieces and plays will definitely fall into place. ;)

KSP

andy beth miller said...

*I think I know the One....

~Isaiah 43:15~

Karen Swallow Prior said...

Oh, yes you do! :)