~Cultivating Life~

Friday, March 26, 2010

Chicken Sits~

I have been thinking of the role of parenting often lately. Pretty much, wherever I look in life, it has been at the forefront of my mind. From taking joy in my closest friends’ (and family’s!) newly announced pregnancies, to both witnessing (and being a * not always welcoming * recipient of) parental “care and concern,”...it appears to flank me on all sides. J

I am at that magical age in life (actually, the more I think of it…when are we NOT?) when parents (and all other surrounding parties/ friends/ loved ones) feel the need to offer “help” and guidance in my “finding my way” in life. Whether it be relationship advice, financial planning tips, career guidance, or even the occasional * gasp * “intimacy admonishments”—our parents/ loved ones are always waiting and ready to pounce * ahem *--“gently” proffer their priceless pearls of wisdom~

Protection is one of the main themes I see flowing like a golden thread in the universal cosmic connection that people (parents especially) all share with one another in relating to their loved ones. Yes, protection—that dogged desire to tenaciously guard those we love from any and all possible and unknown threats…even when they have not asked for it…and quite often when they altogether vehemently oppose it!

A chance encounter that I had the blessing of happening upon strikes a vivid picture and analogy for this concept in my mind. About a week ago, I had traveled across the island to drop off a friend at his house. He lives out in the country, and as I rode up and parked in the driveway, I noticed in the corner of my view a mother hen surrounded by a cackle of baby chicks.

He had to go inside to pick up a few things, and I settled in to wait for him. As I waited, I kept my eye on the small processional of poultry that was making their way towards my vehicle. Remembering I had my camera in my backpack, I unbuckled my seatbelt to reach for it. At that moment, the mother, upon hearing the click, frantically placed herself in between my car and her babies…one by one, she clamored to collect her offspring beneath the folds of her feathers. The babies seemed mostly annoyed and frustrated with her antics. Some even appeared frightened by the vehemence in the execution of her protective instincts. The mother would chase and scoop, hem and holler…and then actually SIT on top of the chicks as she bore them to her breast. Try as they might to escape, the mother was dogged in her efforts and eventually grappled them all, managing to cover them within the safe confines of her person completely. As the drama unfolded, I was just taking it all in—realizing how much we have in common…poultry and people~

As I continued to watch, I ran the gamut of emotions. I was at once humored, saddened, angered, puzzled, and enlightened. I FELT and empathized with the baby chickens…the frustration, the oppression, the confinement (they were being SMOTHERED by gosh!) I know all too well that desperate desire to run away and just be FREE! (I also know what it feels like to sense someone sitting (or sh**tng!) on you)…not good….not good at all~

To be fair, however, I also sensed and empathized with the mother hen’s situation…she perceived danger and was attempting to do everything in her power to keep her babies safe. Her desire to nurture, to protect at all costs, to have her children’s best at heart and pursue that best violently…courageously….FIERCELY even—is breathtakingly beautiful and awe-inspiring to me.

My companion returned and I regretfully started the ignition, pulling into reverse. As I backed the car away, I strained to watch the little family as long as I could.

The last I was able to see, the bittersweet struggle still ensued…

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This just might be your best one yet! Really!!! And not JUST because I know it's (in part, at least) about the "smothering" of yours truly .... :)

(Really! "Processional of poultry" was my favorite part!)


Dr. P ("P" for Parental Poultry Person)

Unknown said...

Oh, and that favorite part is nearly tied with the title "Chicken Sits." Love it!

Dr. P

Melissa F. said...

As a mother "hen" - I can totally related to this!