~Cultivating Life~

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Static~


Woke up this morning feeling light. I have been on a sabbatical of sorts these last days/weeks. Taking a break from (okay, maybe hiding from) the world. I’ve “shushed” myself, and sought…trying to listen in a world that, frankly, had become deafening. Loud and cluttered, the Television offering more bad news, the radio with its constant rotation of blaring, Bieber bop and rhyming, oh so profound gangsta rap (mmm tizzz…what, what…*no, really…what?*), the ringing telephone, the buzzing texts, the facebook popups…the chatter….these things I call my “static”…breaking up the clear signal I was so desperately seeking. SHUSH… so I can hear the message I am trying to channel….the words are garbled and cutting in and out…static running interference again and again.

Must.

Eliminate.

The.

Static….

(And I did.) I turned off the TV, began to appreciate the silent drive to town….windows rolled down to the tune of the rhythmic waves…ebb and FLOWing those BEats. I silenced my phone and stilled the shaking texts. Facebook fell to the wayside, and everything…every single thing…stilled.

At first the silence was almost as deafening as the static had been, Time had overnight seemed to multiply. What exactly had I done with my 24-sectioned slots before? I can’t scarcely say…but what I do know is that the silence, at first scary and foreign….soothed. Soothed like a lullaby from the lips of the most nurturing earth mama, this soul of mine drank it up like a cool, glass of water in the middle of the Sahara. If I could swim in this silence, I would. I would race to it with every ounce of speed and energy I could expel, cannonball into its depths-- let the waves crash over me, and wash me clean.

In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.” Gandhi~

No comments: