~Cultivating Life~

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Liquid Drops Of Laughter~









For the last three days, it has been a torrential downpour of precipitation on the islands of Hawaii. Rain, rain, rain…and more rain. The first day I awoke to the pitter-pattering of scattered showers across my windowpane…and it was lovely. I laid my head down that evening to a lullaby of moonshadowed mists. Just divine.

The second day I awoke to the dew-drenched lawn; lush with fresh green patches nurtured by the previous day’s deluge. I drank in the moist air, grateful for the welcome change from our usual 24/7-sunshine. By mid afternoon, when all my errands were done, I nestled into my peacechair and napped amid the tender aquatic trill. The day trickled into night, which found me duck-diving into my pillow, submerging myself deep beneath the ocean of droplets, tap dancing across my dreams. Just perfection.

This, the third day, I am rudely rousted from bed by the earth-shattering thunder which now rattles my rooftiles—giving the house I live in what appears to be a heaving tummy ache-- it grumbles and groans under the onslaught of “nausea,” which the waves of rain have no doubt induced. I stagger to the windowpane, met by a menacing streak of lightning –its crash and subsequent splinter of light the only brightness to be found. Where has that sun gone, anyway? I open the door to retrieve the morning paper…only to see the mangled heap of a pre-recycled, inkblot-covered, paper mache puddle staring up at me in its place. * Nice *

I retreat inside and ransack my closet, rustling around in the back until I find my dusty raincoat. *ZIIIIIIIIP *…..Mad dash to the mitsubishi….and I am on my way. Having not been to the store in almost three days leaves an already meager cupboard quite bare, so off to the store we go. I pull into the deserted parking lot (I mean, really…what kind of IDIOT goes out on errands on a day like THIS?) I cut my engine and begin my breathing exercises I have been learning at my granola-cruncher yoga classes….center—center—“I am ONE with the earth…the wind, the rain, the sun, the moon,…the wind, the rain…OH-WHO-AM-I-KIDDING?!?!?!?” Bugger! CLICK---SCRAMBLE---SLAM…slop, splish, splash, skid….and I am IN!

Let’s see: Hummus (check) Baby Carrots: (Check) Bananas (Check) Soy Milk (Check) Coffee (Oh HELL YES, GOT it!) ….bleep, bleep, bleep, scan, scan, cha-ching… "That’ll be (a-whole-heck-of-a lot-more-than-I-should-have-spent) dollars, Miss.” I exhale slowly, and hand over the moolah, then brace myself for the mad dash ahead. GO, GO, GO…making it to the red wagon in record time, we go!

At home I decide to run my perishables in first, then come back for the other groceries, like usual. SLAM! Round one dash…go go go! I charge to my front door, and reach for my keys….my keys….my…KEYS?!?!?!?! As the rain continues to pound down mercilessly on my head, I realize I have locked myself out of BOTH my house AND my car….all in one foul swoop. And the prize goes to….YEAH… * Huzzah *~

My shoulders slump, I want to scream…I want to hit something…I feel angry…I want to shout some scrabble up in here! (four letter words, with triple word scores, ya’ll!) I clench my fists…this bedraggled , traumatized Tinkerbell…and open my mouth to release my fury to this d**ned deluge…EEEEEYYYYYAAAAHAHAHA…HAHA….HAHA…HAHA….HA...

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Ha. Ha.

Ha.

As my shoulders begin to shake…my whole body reeling with the release of it all…I realize I am laughing. Not quite hysterically…yes, perhaps a small bit scary (for the neighbors at least)…but no…this was therapy.

I raised my face to the (now gently kissing) silvery drops of liquid laughter…and unleashed all the pent up everything

And on this third day, I, too, am risen again~

No comments: